Friday, September 2, 2011

Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

A clumsy combination of western stock characters and science fiction conventions. The aliens, monolithic and uninteresting combinations of the space invaders from Independence Day and the Incredible Hulk are after gold, (pesky aliens are always after one of our resources) so they travel to the Arizona Territory in the year 1873. They blow up cows, rope in humans, and interfere with stock western plots like the cattle baron with the bratty son, the mysterious stranger, the tired old sheriff ect. (I'm surprised there wasn't a comic drunk). This feels like a combination of every summer movie though its surprisingly slow, in fact I didn't get mildly excited until the end. Waste of a good cast and potentially interesting concept. Not really bad per say, but not good. Grade: C-

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

I am thoroughly surprised you went to see this movie. I haven't seen it so I can't really give an objective point of view but based on what I have seen and read I am trying to figure out how in the world they got that cast on board for such a dive.