Saturday, January 1, 2011

True Grit (2010)

If you told me that they are remaking the classic 1969 John Wayne movie True Grit my first response would be "why?" But if you then told me that it was to be 'a Coen brothers western', my second response would be "okay, that's a good reason." Apparently this movie is said to be more true to the source material (a 1968 novel) then was the John Wayne movie, but the main point is that its a 'Coen brothers western', and that's what I went to see, and I was satisfied if not floored. I liked this movie, it seemed for lack of a better word more 'authentic' then the original film, and I just loved the dialogue. Though I can't really say that either film version of this story was better then the other, just two different takes, though the Coen brothers version adds a nice little coda to the end that I appreciated. Honestly you should see both movies, I can't think of a lot of re-made material that you can say that about. B+

2 comments:

hortinthewho said...

When I first heard about this film I was opposed to oven the concept of remaking a John Wayne film, I mean it's John Wayne, you just don't mess with the guy (I would also like to point out that John Wayne's not dead, he's just frozen.). I am slowly coming around though and think I might have to go check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation, that will help me get my wife into the theater.

hortinthewho said...

You were right, this was a great movie. I would probably give it an A-.