Thursday, August 19, 2010

Goodfellas (1990)

A friend recommended I see this movie over three years ago, I finally got around to it. In short Goodfellas is a crime epic based on a true story centering around three (arguably four) people and their involvement in organized crime from 1955 to the early 1980's. An epic story of personal corruption and moral destruction, the scenes involving the family life of gangster Henry Hill and its gradual disintegration are simultaneously among the most compelling and most uncomfortable of the film, ultimately there are no heroes here. The film is of the genera for which director Scorsese is perhaps best known, but considering all I've really scene of 'Marty's' work is Taxi Driver and his DiCaprio cycle, for me this was something of a new experience (I'd have to describe it as seaming proto-Tarantino, but more accurately Quintin is post-Scorsese). Anyway quite the film, but I'm still not sure just what I think about it other then that it was well made.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19900902/REVIEWS/9020301/1023