Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Oscar Picks for the 80th Annual Academy Awards

So its time again for me to put down my Oscar picks, bearing in mind I give myself until before the broadcast on Sunday night to change any of these. I usally average about 14 of the 24 competative catagories correct, but I am operting out of an Oscar season where my ability to access the predictions of others has been less reliabel then in previous years. Well here it goes.

Actor in a Leading Role:

No Question this will be won by Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood. This is as inevatible as Helen Mirrian last year for The Queen.

Actor in a Supporitng Role:

Probably the most competative catagory this year. My heart wants to give it to Hal Holbrook for Into the Wild (my real pick for the best picture of 2007, though it is not nominated in that catagory), though I think it will go to a deserving Javier Bardem for No Country for Old Men. Though Tom Wilkinson could upset for Micheal Clayton.

Actress in a Leading Role:

Julie Christie in Away From Her. Though Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose could upset.

Supporting Actress in a Leading Role:

No idea, so I'm going for Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone.

Best Original Screenplay:

Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton. Sorry Juno this was better written.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Christopher Hampton, Atonement

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:

Katyn, Poland (Random guess, I don't really do Foreign films well.)

ANIMATED FEATURE:

It's going to be Ratatouille. I'd like to see Persepolis win.

ORIGINAL SCORE:

Dario Marianelli, Atonement. It's a shame There Will Be Blood was not nominated in this catagory.

ORIGINAL SONG:

"That's How You Know", Enchanted

ART DIRECTION

Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer, Atonement

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Robert Elswit, There Will Be Blood

COSTUME DESIGN

Jacqueline Durran, Atonement

MAKEUP

Didier Lavergne and Jan Archibald, La Vie en Rose (Much deserved)

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Sicko It may not win, but it's the best thing Micheal Moore ever did so I'm voting for it.

SOUND MIXING

Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter Kurland, No Country for Old Men

SOUND EDITING

Christopher Scarabosio and Matthew Wood, There Will Be Blood Awsome sound editing, you don't usally notice, but you notice in this its so powerfull.

VISUAL EFFECTS

Michael Fink, Bill Westenhofer, Ben Morris and Trevor Wood, The Golden Compass

FILM EDITING

Roderick Jaynes, No Country for Old Men

========================================
Random Grab-Bag Voting Catagories I Never Get Right:

SHORT FILM - ANIMATED

"Madame Tutli-Putli"

SHORT FILM - LIVE ACTION

"At Night"

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

"La Corona (The Crown)"

================================

DIRECTOR

Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood

BEST PICTURE

Atonement

Tone in to find out the true results when the Oscars air this Sunday night on ABC.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

I was seriously wrong in many major categories this year, I am very disappointed in myself. I got egotistical, and paid too much attention to the BAFTA’s. I brought this down on myself. Jackson your loyalty to the Brother’s Coen was rewarded, where as I only got six or seven categories right. However I am largely pleased with the winners, even if I didn’t pick them. However what was with those Bourn Ultimatum wins, totally threw off my game. I mean a decent action series and all, but they’d already made two of them, so why the love fest? Lord of the Rings syndrome I guess.