Friday, September 21, 2007

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

(Wyoming and Texas; 1963-1984ish)

Reviewing Ang Lee’s ‘Brokeback Mountain’, 2005’s notorious “gay cowboy movie”, presents me with a slight conundrum. Through what lens should I view this movie, through my social libertarianism, and the cinematic logic that encourages all movie goers to sympathize with the couple that society is keeping apart? Or, should I view it through my religious tradition which takes homosexuality as a sin, and through the films subtly played counter-point of the lives negatively effected through Ennis (Heath Ledger) and Jack’s (Jake Gyllenhaal) prolonged affair (namely their spouses and other family members)? I think the film is very fair and real about the circumstances depicted, the pain of all characters displayed in varying degree’s of subtlety. Ledger’s performance is particularly strong and he probably should have won the Oscar for it, though I can’t now remember who it was that defeated him. I think this movie may be particularly helpful for people from conservative backgrounds (such as the Wyomings and Texans depicted in the film) to understand the plight of homosexual family members or friends, especially as the film is rather restrained in its depiction of gay sex, no male members being shown. This is strong filmmaking and a bit gutsy on the part of director Ang Lee, though I think he ultimately took his pretensions to far, in a decidedly unclassy reaction to it not being named best picture. In the end however I agree with a friend of mine who said this film will probably date better then 2005’s actual Oscar winner ’Crash’.

No comments: