Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Transformers: The Movie (1986)

(Earth, space, and several other planets; 2005)
IMDb

It will never cease being sad that Orson Wells went from Citizen Kane to Transformers: The Movie. Wells however wasn't the only accomplished actor who must of really needed money to appear in this film, Robert Stack did as well. Anyway you might be wondering why I even watched this thing, well a friend of mine got a group of us together to view this in preparation for the upcoming Transformers film, which I personally am boycotting because it looks awful and was directed by Micheal Bay. I watched this retro Transformers movies because it was retro, I watched it for the camp and to spend some time with friends. Anyway the plot is completely unimportant, save to say that Wells plays a giant, planet-eating Transformer called Unicron (shades of another summer blockbuster). The quality of the dialogue makes its writers the anti-Sorkin, and mostly its just a lot of robots blasting each other, endlessly, and attempting one-liners. All and all I felt mostly neutral to the film, (though I did make fun of it a lot while it was on) because I know I'm not its target audience anymore, and maintain shades of childhood affinity for the series from which it was based. I do have to applaud however the fact that the movie and the program allowed characters to die, to the extent that Robots can die. Though Optimus Prime, was later resurrected in the final season of the television show, I swear that's one of the only things I remember about the program. That and Grimlock is king.

No comments: